Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) to Receive Funds to Repair Roof

. July 14, 2010 . 0 Comments

Detroit – The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) was recently awarded $750,000 from the federal government, earmarked for much-needed repairs to the roof of the museum’s historic 1927 building and its North and South Wings. Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, who sits on the U.S. House Appropriations Committee and the Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, was responsible for securing these funds on behalf of the museum. Michigan Senators Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow supported the museum’s request in the Senate.
“We are most grateful to the government and taxpayers for assisting with our roof repair,” said Graham W. J. Beal, DIA director. “The DIA houses countless treasures viewed by visitors from around the United States and around the world, and keeping them secure is one of our top priorities. We are especially grateful to Congresswoman Kilpatrick for her leadership in obtaining this appropriation.”

Museum officials are working with representatives from the City of Detroit and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to plan and implement the roof renovation effort, which is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2010 or spring of 2011, weather permitting.

The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA), one of the premier art museums in the United States, is home to more than 60,000 works that comprise a multicultural survey of human creativity from ancient times through the 21st century. From the first van Gogh painting to enter a U.S. museum (Self Portrait, 1887), to Diego Rivera’s world-renowned Detroit Industry murals (1932–33), the DIA’s collection is known for its quality, range, and depth. Programs are made possible with support from the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs and the City of Detroit.

Founded in 1885, the museum was originally located on Jefferson Avenue, but, due to its rapidly expanding collection, moved to a larger site on Woodward Avenue in 1927. The new Beaux-Arts building, designed by Paul Cret, was immediately referred to as the “temple of art.” Two wings were added in the 1960s and 1970s, and a major renovation and expansion that began in 1999 was completed in 2007.

Detroit Institute of Arts
5200 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, Michigan 48202
313.833.7900

www.dia.org

Category: Museum News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.