Wallace Collection Refurbishment of the East Galleries

. January 3, 2011 . 0 Comments

As part of the Wallace Collection’s ongoing refurbishment programme, the East Galleries are now closed to the public.

The vision for the East Galleries Project is to create improved spaces to hang our internationally significant collection of Dutch paintings, returning the rooms to the proportions of Sir Richard Wallace’s day and re-introducing natural light with which to view the works of art. A selection of the most significant Dutch and Flemish paintings will remain on view in the East Drawing Room for the duration of the work.

The Wallace Collection is a national museum which displays the wonderful works of art collected in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries by the first four Marquesses of Hertford and Sir Richard Wallace, the son of the 4th Marquess. It was bequeathed to the British nation by Sir Richard’s widow, Lady Wallace, in 1897.

Displayed at Hertford House, the main London townhouse of its former owners, the Wallace Collection presents its outstanding collections in a sumptuous but approachable manner which is an essential part of its charm.

It is probably best known for its paintings by artists such as Titian, Rembrandt, Hals (The Laughing Cavalier) and Velázquez and for its superb collections of eighteenth-century French paintings, porcelain, furniture and gold boxes, probably the best to be found anywhere outside France.

The Wallace Collection
Hertford House
Manchester Square London
W1U 3BN United Kingdom
Telephone +44 (0)207 563 9500
Fax +44 (0) 207 224 2155
visiting@wallacecollection.org
www.wallacecollection.org

Category: Museum News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.