Kunsthistorisches Museum reopens Theseus Temple

The Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna announced the reopening of the Theseus Temple, with a new programme of contemporary presentations.

Theseus Temple, Vienna Copyright: Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna

Located in the leafy surrounds of Vienna’s central Volksgarten park, the neoclassical Temple was constructed between 1819 and 1823 specifically to house a single work of then-contemporary art: Antonio Canova’s masterpiece Theseus Slaying the Centaur. For almost 70 years this monumental sculpture stood alone inside the building until, in 1891, it was moved to the newly-completed Kunsthistorisches Museum where it stands today on the museum’s grand staircase.

Beginning in April 2012, following an extensive renovation of the Temple, a new series of exhibitions will return the building to its original purpose: to present remarkable single artworks by contemporary artists, one at a time. Each work will open its own, particular dialogue with the collections and history of the Kunsthistorisches Museum.

The first artist to be presented is Ugo Rondinone, a graduate of Vienna’s School for Applied Arts. He will be followed in late June by Kris Martin, making his exhibition debut in Vienna. It is intended that a full programme of presentations will continue in 2013.

The Theseus Temple programme is organised by Jasper Sharp, the museum’s Adjunct Curator for Modern and Contemporary Art.

Ugo Rondinone: April 20–June 24, 2012
Kris Martin: June 29–August 20, 2012

Opening hours: daily, 11am–6pm
Entrance free

Theseus Temple, Volksgarten
1010 Vienna
Austria
www.khm.at

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Top