Philadelphia Museum of Art Announces Major Restoration Project to Preserve Historic Fairmont Park Home

Cedar Grove, a historically important house located in West Fairmount Park, is closing for a major restoration project of the building’s exterior envelope and roof, which will continue into the fall of 2013. July 8, 2012 will be the last day Cedar Grove is open to the public until the project’s completion.

Cedar Grove was built as a country retreat by prominent Quaker Elizabeth Coates Paschall in 1750. Five subsequent generations of the Paschall and Morris families continued to add to the property as they made it their home. Originally constructed in the Frankford section of Philadelphia, the house was moved to its current location in 1926, after Lydia Thompson Morris generously donated Cedar Grove to the City of Philadelphia and the furnishings to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The City, in an effort led by the Museum, moved the house to a location in West Fairmount Park overlooking the Schuylkill River and opened it to the public in 1928. By keeping Cedar Grove open for over 80 years as a historic home, the Museum has offered visitors a window onto the past complete with the furniture and household goods collected and used by members of the same family over the course of nearly two centuries. The restoration project is in keeping with the mission to keep this house in pristine condition and accessible to visitors for generations to come.

“The Philadelphia Museum of Art has a responsibility and desire to care for and maintain the remarkable properties it administers on behalf of the city,” says Timothy Rub, The George D. Widener Director and Chief Executive Officer. “Like the Rodin Museum, which has been restored and will open to the public once again on July 13, Cedar Grove must also close temporarily in order to be preserved for future Philadelphians to enjoy.”

For general information, call (215) 763-8100, or visit the Museum’s website at

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published.