Penrith and Eden Museum will reopen after refurbishment
Penrith and Eden Museum is temporarily closed as work is underway to make the venue more accessible to disabled visitors but also increase space for temporary exhibitions and educational workshops.
The refurbishment will see the installation of improved lighting as well as a projection system allowing the collections to be explored in new ways. The main access will still be through the TIC but the original door in the old school building will be automated to give access to wheelchair users. The staircase at the south end will be removed allowing the upper room at that end of the building floor to be extended and used as the new store-room. It is also intended to make the display in the remaining room upstairs available electronically, again with accessibility in mind.
Penrith and Eden Museum is located at the heart of the town of Penrith. The Museum is housed in Robinson’s School, an Elizabethan building dating from 1670 and used as a school until the early 1970s. It was originally a charity school for poor girls and was converted by Eden District Council in 1990 into a local history museum and Tourist Information Centre.