Museum PR Announcements News and Information

Museum to Install 1930s Airplanes Into Gallery Oct. 12

Airplanes added to Golden Age of Aviation exhibit, “moving day” activities on view to Museum visitors

SEATTLE – Oct. 12 is “moving day” in the Museum’s glass building called the Great Gallery, and the activities will be open to Museum visitors. At least six airplanes on exhibit inside and outside of the Museum will have to be moved around, out, and in, to make room for the addition of a Lockheed Electra and Stinson Model O in the Golden Age of Aviation exhibit. While full access to the gallery will be restricted throughout the day, all of the aircraft and activity will be on view for Museum visitors.

The Museum's Stinson Model O on a flight over Puget Sound. Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren/The Museum of Flight.
The Museum’s Stinson Model O on a flight over Puget Sound. Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren/The Museum of Flight.

The World War II-era Super Corsair fighter will be moved out of its current spot in the gallery to a new home at the Museum’s Restoration Center. Replacing it will be a 1935 Lockheed Model 10-E Electra transport (centerpiece of the new Amelia Earhart exhibit); while next to the Electra will be the world’s only Stinson Model O. This will be the first time either of the airplanes has been on display in a museum. The Electra is one of only two in existence, the Model O is unique. Both of the airplanes were flown to the Museum on Sept. 21, 2013.

The Lockheed Model 10-E Electra
The Museum’s Electra was built for Northwest Airlines and began passenger service in 1935. It served in WWII and then went back to flying passengers for airlines in Brazil and the U.S. until it was restored to replicate Amelia Earhart’s Electra in 1996. In 1997 Linda Finch flew it around the world, reenacting Earhart’s ill-fated, 1937 last flight. Today there is only one other Lockheed Model 10-E Electra in existence.

The Stinson Model O
The Stinson Aircraft Company of Wayne, Michigan built the Model O to serve as a military training and utility aircraft. Based on the company’s popular Reliant series, the Model O was first developed to help the government of Honduras establish its own air force. Just nine Model Os were ever built. Stinson delivered three to Honduras in 1933 where the military used them for training and anti-insurgency operations. Another three aircraft later went to China, one to Brazil and one to Argentina. The prototype remained in the United States.

The Museum’s Model O reproduction was built in the early 2000s, using a stock Stinson SR-5 Reliant as the basis for the project. It was assigned Manufacturer’s Serial Number 10 to the finished airplane-the last Model O of the original production run of nine. The aircraft has appeared at many regional air shows.

The Museum of Flight is located at 9404 E. Marginal Way S., Seattle, Exit 158 off Interstate 5 on Boeing Field half-way between downtown Seattle and Sea-Tac Airport. The Museum is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $18 for adults, $15 for seniors 65 and older, $15 for active military, $10 for youth 5 to 17, and free for children under 5. Group rates are available. Admission on the first Thursday of the month is free from 5 to 9 p.m. courtesy of Wells Fargo. McCormick & Schmick’s Wings Café is on site. For general Museum information, please call 206-764-5720 or visit